Henry Cliffe

Born Scarborough, 1919.

He studied painting and lithography at Bath Academy of Art,
Corsham where he also taught.

His lithographs were included in the International Biennial
of Contemporary Colour Lithography in Cincinnati and the
British Pavilion at the Venice Biennale 1954 and 1960.

From 1952 he was represented in international print
exhibitions held in France, Germany, Switzerland, Yugoslavia,
Japan and the United States.

One-man exhibitions of paintings at the Redfern Gallery,
London 1956 and 1961; Arnolfini Gallery, Bristol 1962 and
1964; exhibition of prints and drawings at St George's
Gallery, London 1959; one-man exhibition of gouaches and
prints at the Centaur Gallery, Bath 1967; Auburn University,
Alabama, USA 1967; Vandyck Theatre, University of Bristol
1969; retrospective exhibition of lithographs, Arnolfini
Gallery, Bristol 1970; Festival Gallery, Bath 1977 and 1980;
Theatre Royal, Bath 1979.

Henry Cliffe was awarded first purchase prize by the
Philadelphia Print Club in 1960 and a Ford Foundation
Fellowship, Pratt Institute of Graphic Art, New York 1961
(Founder Fellow).

His work is represented in many public collections including
the Victoria and Albert Museum, London; Cincinnati Art
Museum; Museum of Modern Art, New York; City Art Gallery,
Bristol and the University of Bristol.


| home | gallery artists | other artists | current exhibition | contact | images |